our birth story according to michael...
saturday, march 5th
- 5:45am: water breaks
- we both shower (being calm and collected, thanks to our months of preparation), while john starts freaking out about us getting to the hospital.
- we arrive around 7:30am, make it to triage, and find out that she's 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. we're in labor!
- we make it to our labor/delivery room and meet our day nurse, sharon. we're the only ones in labor on our wing.
- contractions are about a minute long and 3-4 minutes apart for the next several hours.
- erin likes going through contractions standing up while hanging in my arms.
- she labors on her side, on her hands and knees, over pillows, with the yoga ball, sitting up, etc., but nothing helps the back labor. amos is "sunny-side-up" and won't flip over!
- most of the afternoon is spent, as john put it, "pushing tennis balls through her back." me, john, susan, lauren, and even our night nurse, kyla, took turns trying to relieve the pain.
- by the way, we were progressing so nicely that they set up the delivery table around 4pm saying, "this will go very quickly once her water breaks" (apparently, the earlier fluid was just a high leak).
- eventually, her pain was so much that she couldn't relax at all. we opted for an epidural around 10pm. the anesthesiologist quickly became erin's favorite doctor.
- for the remainder of the evening, we rested, got on FB, and erin did her hair and makeup. we gradually made it to 10 cm at around 5:30am (sunday) after getting an amniotomy (breaking the water).
- she tried to push, but his head would only bump into erin's pelvis. at around 6am we found out a c-section was the only option since he was not going to fit.
- we were quickly prepped and sent off to the OR. the procedure went by very quickly, and amos was out in about 10 minutes! we both started bawling when he started to cry.
- 9 lbs. 2 oz and 21.5 inches long! no wonder he didn't fit. APGAR score was 9/9--a perfect little (big!) boy. amos samuel king. my son. and i love him.